1. Last night I downloaded the new version of Firefox. ( Collapse )
2. Salon interviews Barbara Kopple
, who directed the new Dixie Chicks movie, "Shut Up & Sing". I'm not really a Chicks fan, but I really respect them. The interview's an interesting read, both because of the group and what she says about our current political culture.
3. Speaking of politics... while I adore Barack Obama to pieces, I'm iffy about his possible presidential run. It feels a little bit too soon in his career, even if I think he'd be an amazing leader. But this article
on Slate made me reassess some of my assumptions about his potential success. ( Collapse )
4. Girls sent home for wearing Captain Underpants costumes
: Here's where my liberalism clashes with being a public school teacher. ( Collapse )
5. On a positive educational note, today's AJC has a really neat story about a high school football standout who's also a cheerleader
. He's being offered scholarships in both sports. I really like that he's not at all self-conscious about it; while cheerleading is very athletic these days, male competitors can often face some really unfortunate stigmatism.
6. I didn't go to work today because of a doctor's appointment, so I had my students answer some questions (good, in-depth ones!) about this cool article, "The Sound and the Fury of Diwali"
. I am SO JEALOUS of my sister, who's visiting Chennai right now for the first time with her Indian-born husband. Lucky! On the plus side, she promised to bring me some colorful saris. :)
7. I've complained about the "vanity sizing" that many stores have adopted. Newsweek has a scary/amusing article on the advent of less-than-zero sizes
. Ah, manipulation.
8. ( Collapse )
has another marvelous BSG episode review of "Exodus II"
. Tons better than the one
Jacob posted at TWOP today. I'd expected him to go on and on about an episode he said he loved, but this one read like a just-the-facts recap. I agree with some of the snark from his detractors, but I really enjoy reading huge essays about my shows, even if I disagree with some of the analysis.
10. Now that we're a month into the new TV season, I thought I'd do an update of my pre-season poll
. ( Collapse )