I finally got around to watching tonight's Rescue Me, and... oooookay. Eh, Leary and Tolin keep making asses of themselves, so I've decided that from now on I'll just watch it for Sean "Stupid Yet So Damn Hot" Garrity.
A few links:
-- In the spirit of Oprah, I, also, am not gay. So funny!
-- Tim Goodman talks about sitcoms and laugh tracks. I hadn't really thought much about them, but the sociology behind tracks vs. live audiences is rather interesting.
-- Alan Sepinwall talks to Dave Rosenthal about Gilmore Girls. Spoiler alert. Hmm. I'm reserving judgment.
-- BSG is one of four "Sci-Fi Preview" covers of next week's TV Guide. Kara and Lee, yay! Then again, it's one of the S2 publicity stills. Ah, well. Thanks to a friend, at least I know that there's a lovely photo of the Cylons (though not the one from the photoshoot video.) Unfortunately, the article itself is all about spoilers.
Hell, might as well keep talking about the preview, since everyone's all a'squee about it. ;) I've posted some screencaps here; any omissions are simply because I couldn't get a good shot, which can be difficult with the copies I download from the TiVo. They're out of sequence, thanks to LJ's scrapbook formatting, but you can probably figure out where they should go.
And of course I have to talk about the promo itself. As far as I know, this is completely spoiler-free. So please don't talk about them in the comments, okay? Thanks!
- KARA! Oh, dear. Things aren't looking too good for my girl. I suspect things are not what they seem, given how she appears removed from the others despite usually being in the thick of things. Still, Leoben! Leoben and Kara! And baby! EEK! I love this so goddamned much. Now, babyfic is my sekrit fickink, but I do NOT want to see her (or nearly anyone else) with babies on the show itself. But. The idea of them with a baby (whom I have a feeling isn't really their child) absolutely fascinates me. Kara does not want children, so how will she react when Leoben presents her with a little girl whom he claims is hers? I can't see her becoming Mommy overnight, nor do I see her outright rejecting an innocent child, even a half-Cylon one. Especially if she believes it's her own. I think she'd feel a responsibility to protect it, without quite bonding or even really accepting it.
That said, I just know there's more to the whole scenario than simply Leoben showing up with a bouncing
kindergartenerbaby girl. He's totally fucking with her head, whether or not the child is biologically Kara's. He's drawn to her, maybe even thinks he loves her, but he is a Cylon. Unlike Sharon, he sees humans as others, and he was designed to play games with them, especially Kara. So he's dong this for a very specific, probably nefarious reason, and it has little to do with introducing a child to her mother.
Oh, but that baby is DARLING. Curly blonde hair! A little gray hoodie! I'm in awe of how they found a child (twins?) who looks so damn much like Kara, with a bit of Leoben in there too. I suspect that's why the baby looks way too old to fit the timeline (then again, Hera looked too little in LDYB2, so hey.) It's not too huge of a leap, though; if she was created with the ova samples on the Farm, then we can assume approximately two years or more have passed since then. Or maybe the kid will look smaller in the actual episodes. Whatever.
And set designers? What's up with you using themes-and-variations on the same apartment in all the planetside scenes? This place looks a hell of a lot like Kara's old loft, with a coat of paint and a crappy interior decorator. Is that a painting or bas-relief of Artemis on the wall? Hmm.
Okay, ONE more thing (because you know I could talk about my girl all day long.) Leoben calls her "CARE-a", not "CAR-a" like in 1.08. Aww. I'd adored how both Leoben and Ron Moore (her creator, even!) pronounced her name differently from everyone else.
- I'm still not loving Cally/Tyrol. Part of it is because I kinda loathe Cally, but also because it screws with their whole dynamic up to LDYB2. I'd always seen her with a schoolgirl crush on him, but he treated her very much like a kid sister, and her crush had shades of that, too. I have a feeling the baby is the result of a drunken guilt-frak, and of course Tyrol would step up and take responsibility. If we're going to get C/T, then I almost like this scenario -- two people caught in an awkward new family, where they love each other as friends but are not quite in love. Trying and not entirely succeeding. I'd buy that far more than them in full-on romantic looooove.
- Seeing Ellen Tigh so pale and defeated is one of the saddest things about the promo. That, and what appears to have happened to poor Saul Tigh. Yikes. (And I promise not to make any Gorton's Fisherman jokes. ;)
- Hmm. Sharon (Boomer?) is working with the Resistance, including Anders and possibly a scary-beareded Tyrol. Interesting. And I love how I've gone from "Anders? Whatever. Leave him on Caprica." to "Omigod! Sam's in the promo! WHEE!" But why isn't he with Kara? Oh, dear.
- Oh, Lee. LEE. So sad, yet so very funny. Thank god we know it's all prosthetics. I liked Dee calling him out and verbally bitchslapping him, and I really liked my flist's collective shout of "He's going to the gym!" Which is especially great because it gives me the chance to plug sarmoti's LDYB2 post, and the funniest thread EVER. Favorite quote: "I have weird images of Lee sitting on his ginormous black couch (which is now sagging underneath all of his weight) eating pork rinds and ice cream and Dee's trying to get him to eat a salad and he just mumbles angrily and dismissively while waving a huge turkey drumstick in her general direction." HA!
- Three and Six are insanely beautiful. Baltar's still insane. And greasy. All is right with the world. Well, except for how it isn't.
Okay, I'm finally feeling tired, so I should probably take advantage of that, yeah? Can't wait to read all the reactions on my flist tomorrow!