2. Moving update: just reserved a UHaul cargo van to pick up Monday at noon. It's $10 more than the 10' truck, but I suspect much easier to drive. The Target manager said I can come by tomorrow at 8am for free boxes. Also, I just got the IKEA email about their first anniversary sale. They're offering a $30 cart that might be perfect for the new kitchen. Anyone want to meet me there Friday for some shopping?
3. Pop Candy offers 40 Reasons To Love John Cusack.
4. I'm nervous about NBC's deal with YouTube. It's such a fabulous place to find random, obscure clips from my favorite shows, plus old videos I'd forgotten. I don't want that to go away in the name of corporate profits. And while I'm at it, don't miss the unedited version of The Sacred Heart Air Band performing "More Than a Feeling". Oh, Turk. I loooove you.
5. The Onion gives us a heads-up on the latest threat to the American Way: Government to Defend Marriage from Dashing Reginald St. Croix, Esq. (thanks to poisoninjest for the link.)
6. A Reuters article examining why, if 40% of World Cup viewers are female, advertisers insist on marketing stuff to men. Sheesh.
7. I'm tired of the overuse of "frak" in BSG fic. Yeah, it's the show's most common expletive, but the characters do occasionally use other cursewords. More than that, I'm tired of how many fics use it with regards to sex. Now, I can't make a blanket condemnation, since I'm sure I've done the same thing before! Yes, "frak"="fuck", but it doesn't always work in context. Here's an example I've made up; any reference to actual fanfic lines is entirely coincidental!
Tyrol and Helo slipped into the storage closet for a quick, angsty frak.
"Oh, Sam, you frakked me so good last night," Dee whispered. "I hope nobody finds out about our sordid affair!"
Um, okay. Substitute "fuck" for "frak" and see how it sounds. Look, I *love* the word. I say "fuck" all the damn time -- it's a great all-purpose expletive. But using "fuck" to refer to sex makes me a bit uncomfortable; I'll usually only say it in a crude, blunt context. Most of the time, I'll say things like "had sex" or "screwed" or "got laid"... or the sappy "made love". ;) The BSG universe has the same euphemisms; even Kara told Lee she wanted "a good lay", not a frak.
I'm not suggesting the word be banned. Far from it! Just pay more attention to the context and weight of such a word. If the characters are in a situation where we'd use "fuck" to mean intimate, intense sexual contact, then fine. But -- again, in my opinion! -- the word isn't an easy substitute in every situation.
8. Which brings me to yet another Wacky Poll. I'm using euphemisms out of courtesy to anyone who might be reading over your shoulder, but this poll's all about The F-Word, baby.
Fill in the blank: "Let's get naked and ______."
Do you often use the word "fuck" to refer to sex?
What's your favorite euphemism for sex? :)
Okay. Time to watch some TV, catch up on comments/replies, and ignore all the packing that I should be doing!
ETA: latteaddict just posted screencaps from Katee's new interview at tvguide.com, and the sheer hotness of them has killed me d-e-d. If you've seen the S2 finale, then the pics won't really spoil you -- just don't click on the interview itself. GUH. My girlcrush on her is no longer platonic. ;)