I've been practically glued to the tv this entire weekend... except for the ~90 mins when I forced myself to go outside & run some errands only to discover I missed, not 1, but 2 gold medal performances!! Damn my luck! The MUCH HYPED GOLD MEDAL OMGWEHAVETOWINTHIS hockey game is on right now but I can't watch, the anxiety... I hear car horns honking outside, I'm taking this as a good sign?
Watched Olympic Morning today, CTV gathered all the Canadian medalists together which was so great to see. Lots of reminiscing and "what was your favourite moment of the games?". So, to keep my mind off the hockey game, some of my favourite moments:
* Alex Bilodeau's gold medal. Watching him celebrate and the hug with his brother *heartclench*
* Shaun White's (US) half-pipe performance. He won the gold even before his 2nd run and the guy goes out and puts up a higher score! The man can fly.
* Virtue & Moir, ice dance. I've never been the biggest ice dance fan but in the midst of all those wacky costumes, V/M were just pure grace and class. Their skate was beautiful.
* Brian Orser finally getting his gold. Seeing him "skate" along with Kim Yu Na from the sidelines was awesome to watch.
* Joannie Rochette. After her short program, I don't think there was a dry eye left in that building.
* Watching Marianne St-Gelais scream & jump & cheer on her boyfriend, Charles Hamelin, during the 500m short track was awesome. Her jumping from the stands and onto the boards to give him a hug and then how she couldn't get back up so a volunteer had to gave her hand. A hilarious moment is that you can see, in the stands, a woman hit her husband and tell him to take a picture when they were hugging.
* Norway's curling pants. Enough said :)
* Jon Montgomery (skeleton), walking through the crowd at Whistler after winning and chugging from a pitcher of beer someone gave him. Can't get any more Canadian than that!
* The photo finish for the ladies 30km cross country between Kowalczyk (Poland) and Bjoergen (Norway). They were neck-to-neck right at the end, as they sprinted towards to the finish line. So exciting!
* Majdic (Slovenia) who fell into a creekbed! during a training run only to come back later and win a bronze for the individual cross-country sprint. Afterwards, it was discovered she had broken several ribs. Un-freaking-believable.
* Germany's Anni Friesinger sliding across the finish line during the ladies' team pursuit. The whole back-end of the race with Anni falling behind, her teammates slowing down, Anni's legs collapsing and her frantically trying to cross the finish line, lying on the ice thinking she lost the semi for her team to her joy when she saw they still won.
* The Canadian women just killing at the games. If I counted right, out of our 26 medals, 15.5 (the 0.5 to Virtue of the ice dance team) were won by women. Double medal in women's bobsleigh. Maelle Ricker's constant smile. Ashley McIvor's jump for joy. Marianne St-Gelais' little dance.
I can probably go on but the list is long enough. I had to look up some of the names so I know Canada's leading 2-1 in the 3rd period. I can hear sporadic yelling and car horns going on outside. OMG, I'm so nervous LOL!!
ETA: OH THANK FREAKIN' GOD *heart slowly returns to normal* I flipped in to watch with 3 mins left and then the US scored. I couldn't watch the OT at all. I only flipped it back to the game when I heard the yelling from outside. Sid the Kid. You are already a national hero but after this game, you're now a freaking Canadian god LOL. The yelling & car horns are still going. Good job, USA. Thanks for giving an entire nation a heart attack =)
How did I miss this brilliant Chuck/Honda/Olympics ad?
Olympics are less than a week away!! I'm getting excited! I can't believe it's 7C (45F) in Vancouver right now. That's way too warm, people! And they're having snow issues. Too much rain, not enough snow. Whistler is okay, it's the other site, Cypress Mountain (snowboarding, freestyle), where they've started on Plan B. They're even flying snow in!
I just booked my flight to Vancouver SQUEEEEEEE!!!!
Had a WTF IS THIS BATSHITTERY moment when I saw the flight prices. Flights to Vancouver usually fall in the $400-$500 range. This time, my ideal flight times would've cost me $943!! In the end, I decided to lose a day and save myself a couple hundred dollars. Stupid airlines.
So, I will be in Vancouver from Feb 14-21 =) I'm so excited I was able to take the whole week off! When I originally started thinking about going to the Olympics while I was at my old job, I figured the most I could swing is a 4-day weekend since it's the busy season. But I don't have to worry about that anymore YAY!!
And now I should do some research for tickets...