Five things enter, one post leaves....
1) HOW IS IT SUNDAY ALREADY? I want my weekend back, darn it! I had plans!
2) You know how the rum is always gone? I want to know why the grading is never gone. Gaaaaaaaaah.....
2a) The worst part here is that I am grading exams on a wide range of material and I am paranoid that I am missing things which are either plausible-sounding but wrong or which sound odd but which are correct because I
can't remember the texts they claim to be discussing correctly.
2b) This time, I get to grade the essay of the kid who always complains about his grade. Who, apparently, really screwed up on the other section of the exam (which I am not grading this time). Yaaaaay.
3) Last week, I was at a pet adoption fair with d_ragondaughter
, and I talked with a woman who works with-- well, pretty much runs, I think-- a local animal rescue group, focusing on TNR
. The city has a grant covering the spay/neuter surgery, but it runs out at the end of the year (which I had not known). So, I said I would get in touch with her, and did, and she is VERY OVERWHELMED OF CAT-TRAPPING, and the general running of a cat-rescue program and the fact that the grant is running out at the end of the year and there is one cat in particular she is trying to relocate but she can't manage to get out to where the cat is and there is also a colony she continues to try to trap behind this particular grocery store and *deep breath*. Anyway. So. I am going to, hopefully, go pick up a trap on Tuesday and set it out and hopefully the cat will get trapped and so on. But I am now feeling incredibly stressed about this and kind of guilty-in-advance with "WHAT IF THIS DOES NOT WORK OOOOOUUUUUT?" Because... I don't know; now that I have said I will help with what is clearly overwhelming for one person, it's like anything going wrong is letting everybody down, even if the going-wrong is that the cat does not want to get into the trap. Also, this is going to involve working with new people who I do not know. Yay. My brain, ladies and gentlefolk.
4) Dear students: OK, look, the course blog? That is for your benefit, to give you an easy grade boost.. but this only works if you read the texts and then fill out the blog posts. *sigh*
5) On top of this, spent part of the day (did I mention that I am easily distracted while trying to force myself to work on grading? See this post for a prime example...) trying to figure out the costs for gym memberships, since there is a gym where there's a reduced membership for working where I work, but there are also other options. And I ran into the truly fun (hah!) fact that gyms apparently won't tell
you how much you would have to pay for membership, on the grounds that they want to be able to give you the
high pressure guilt-related hard sell
full tour so that you can see the fantastic benefits of membership
and be pressured by super-fit salespeople who extol the virtues of the good health and fitness you clearly don't have
. That is really uncool on so many levels
and would involve having to go there and deal with new people I don't know who are way more together than me
. Le sigh.
5a) Plus side: Finally (FINALLY!) got to head out for great bike ride with d_ragondaughter
and located the nearby greenway trail, and the weather was amazing, and then on the way back we spotted what is apparently a new fitness and dance place right around the block, which focuses on such fantastic things as hula-hoop and zumba and circus-type workouts. Which is highly, highly awesome (and they tell you how much things cost; it's fantastic).
Ok; break's over, back into the trenches I go...