Folks! Artists and non-artists alike! Want to spend half an hour doing something fun and creative for one of my future Nintendo DS projects? Draw me spaceships! Lots of them! Like the ones you used to doodle during class in high school! Or asteroids, missiles, lasers, cargo containers, debris, explosions, astronaut hippies urging the player to Give Space Peace A Chance--anything you'd find floating or zooming or whirring about in a space battle. The more the better!
- not be copyrighted
- be, due to Nintendo DS hardware limitations, a maximum 64 pixels wide and 64 pixels high, with 16 pixels by 32 pixels being roughly the size of a starfighter (if you want to do a huge mothership or something, though, shoot me an email or LJ message and we'll talk)
- be 256-color color depth, with a maximum of 16 different colors per picture (you can check this when you save the file in photoshop or mspaint...alas, this means no cool gradients or shiny effects, unless you're really creative)
- look good against a black background (anything pure black will show up as transparent)
- be saved to BMP, JPG, PNG, or GIF format
- be awesome ("ugly and thrown together in MS Paint" can still be "awesome")
Include any notes you would like to add, like "the big tube down the back is a railgun, pew pew!," "the aerodynamics let it move in a zigzag," or "the cargo bay is full of cows." I can't promise I'll incorporate them if I use your spaceship in a game, but I'll definitely consider all of them.
The more drawings you send me, the more likely I am to use them! And of course you can send me frames for animated pictures, with each frame being a maximum of 64 x 64 pixels in size, but that's a lot more work than I'm expecting anyone to do for a frivolous little thing like this. That would be worth, like, me buying you lunch at the very least.
Don't worry, I'll credit you if I use your art, and I won't sell anything that uses it without your permission. This is just a for-fun, for free thing--I've always wanted to put together a freeware schmup game and the biggest obstacle so far is that I don't have the talent or inclination to draw dozens of sprites.