Anyway, the new era of political optimism in Canada ushered in with it an era of general optimism for me. I like my job, and I'm going to be working full-time in 2016 (although it's still a one-year contract, so... watch out for the return of the depressed posts in 2017). I got assigned the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women file at work, which was hugely thrilling to me both because it's a big step professionally but also because it's a cause I find politically and personally very meaningful. I still miss the friends who have moved away, but working has allowed me to make some new friends. I've had two weeks off for Christmas between contracts, and while the first week off was quite nice, I found myself backsliding a bit during this second week which makes me confront the reality that I like the routine and the sense of purpose.
Probably the least-satisfied part of my life rn is the fandom side, because I've been sort of fandom homeless for a while now, with my interest in Doctor Who finally waning in the face of years of Extreme and Endless Moffating, and nothing stepping up to fill the void. Granted, if I had to pick between personal and career satisfaction vs fandom satisfaction, I'd pick the former, but it'd still be nice to be really excited about something again. Ah well. Maybe soon.
In short, while the beginning of 2015 was very rough, the end of 2015 was among the happiest I'd been in ...frankly, quite a few years. I hope 2016 continues on in the same vein.
I filled out both the obligatory end of year memes on Tumblr and I'll post them here as well, for posterity!
1. Your main fandom of the year: I DON’T HAVE ONE. WHO AM I. WHERE AM I. WHAT IS IT TO HAVE AN INTEREST THAT SUSTAINS LONGER THAN 3 MONTHS. I DON’T LIKE IT.
2. Your favorite film this year: Well favourite movie overall was probably Inside Out but The Force Awakens has provided me like… four whole days of fandom entertainment…
3. Your favorite book this year: Serving the Prime Minister
4. Your favorite album or song this year: Adele’s 25 or the Hamilton OCR (ugh)
5. Your favorite TV show this year: JESSICA JONESSSS
6. Your favorite
7. Your best new fandom discovery of the year: Jessica Jones! Alias is the first comic series I’ve ever read in its entirety and the TV show was everything I wanted and more.
8. Your biggest fandom disappointment of the year: I’m not sure if I can count Doctor Who because I expect nothing and I’m still let down. I guess I’m disappointed that I don’t care more about DW? I was vaguely disappointed that the HP play is about Albus Severus and the Mid-Life Crisis because that’s not what I would’ve chosen.
9. Your TV boyfriend of the year: Matt Murdock!
10. Your TV girlfriend of the year: JESSICA JONESSS
11. Your biggest squee moment of the year: Like everything about Jessica Jones happening. I was super pumped about the Broadchurch s3 announcement as well, can’t wait to watch it in 2020. Also getting tickets to Albus Severus and The Mid-Life Crisis was exciting too.
12. Your most missed old fandom: I miss loving Doctor Who but it has been a long time. RIP.
13. Your fandom you haven’t tried yet, but want to? Not really. I MEAN I need a new fandom home but IDFK what it will be, I am picky and elusive.
14. Your biggest anticipation of the New Year: In some ways (trip!! friends! new HP canon???) Albus Severus and the Mid-Life Crisis. Other than that I’m… not sure? I’m excited for Broadchurch s3 but lmao that might not be until 2017 because Britain is ridiculous, and likewise who tf knows when Defenders will exist, etc. The Luke Cage show maybe? SENSE8 SEASON 2? TEN/DONNA BIG FINISH AUDIOS?
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Joined a sports team ??!??? who am I. Got a big girl job! A big girl job that pays me to write stuff!!! Also met a rack of celebrities including David Tennant, @1909vintage and @thereisnolaughterinschool and the prime minister.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for the next year?
As I wrote in 2014: I don’t do resolutions, that way leads disappointment.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Uh, nope, again this year I don’t think I even know anyone who’s pregnant.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My cousin Rhett passed away a couple weeks ago. We weren’t close, but :(
5. What countries did you visit?
Only the US, booooooooring.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Health benefits lmfao. A permanent contract!!!
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Well honestly I never remember calendar dates, so in that sense, none. Maybe Oct 19, which was the election, and I’m sure I’ll remember that if not the “October 19″ part.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I want to say getting a big girl job but the way I got it was such a random fluke it doesn’t feel like an accomplishment until itself. So I will say the work I did for the MMIW inquiry.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Well currently I’m pressed @ myself for how, for a variety of reasons, I didn’t exercise much for like a month and now everything is hard and I h8 everything. EXERCISING IS THE WORST CHRIS I KNOW IT KEEPS YOU HEALTHY BUT GOD, AT WHAT COST??
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not anything serious. I did fuck up my ankle once.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I do love my iPhone 6s, a real step up from the iPhone 4 I was using up until October.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I hate this question it’s so awkward.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Hahaha my 2014 answer for this was “Stephen Harper” BYE MOTHERFUCKER.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Like, annually, probably to food. In lump sum format, technically my phone but in terms of frivolous spending probably the Philly con.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
David Tennant and Billie Piper in Philly! Meeting Liz! Billie, KGill and Eve Myles in Montreal! The election results! Meeting Tay!
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? © richer or poorer?
a) Happier, post-Christmas blues notwithstanding. The last few months of 2015 were a real turnaround for me, I hope it continues in 2016.
b) I think the same?
c) Richer, god bless regular paychecks
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I suppose “travel” although I did get a bunch of smaller trips in. The one thing I will miss from my 2015 work schedule is its incredible flexibility, luv those long weekends.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
lol my 2014 answer was “being depressed” which still probably applies to the first part of 2015
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with my parents and my aunt, uncle and some cousins. It was nice! I was happy to sleep in my own bed.
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
Only if you count Matt Murdock
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
lol I have a bunch of random tiffs at work but not “hate”, no.
24. What was the best book you read?
All I remember reading in 2015 is Harry Potter and the stuff for my bad book club. So, I guess Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Shut up I hate you all
26. What did you want and get?
A big girl job! A new government! Tickets to the HP play! Some photos with my faves!
27. What did you want and not get?
I suppose a bit more stability would still be nice, what are permanent jobs, what is long-term planning.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Inside Out and The Force Awakens.
29.What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
26 and I stayed inside all day because of a snowstorm.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
lol if most of my closest friends hadn’t moved out of town :(
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Series 7 Clara Oswald
32. What kept you sane?
Internet escapism is always my answer
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Well, David Tennant is still the champion, but special 2015 mention goes to Matt Murdock (like, the fictional alter ego specifically, sorry Charlie Cox I am ambivalent to you as yourself) and also, embarrassingly, the prime minister.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Well, election 42 in general. But specifically within that: the Syrian refugee crisis and the MMIW inquiry.
35. Who did you miss?
Well, most of my friends who left town, but I’ll go specifically with my friend who moved to California for the last four months. But she’s back this weekend!! Yay for me, sad for her lol.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My work friend whom I am hesitant to name on here. But we started the job at the same time and we sit across from each other and she is my work bff.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
Try to just let yourself enjoy the moment and not worry so much about what happens after it.
Happy new year to anyone who's still out there. I hope 2016 is good to us all.