Anyway, I know it's been eons since I updated and I'm sure all 3 of you are on pins and needles, so my last year-ish in review:
1. I think probably my most recent entries were whining about how everyone was moving away. So, that happened. It sucks. More and more the universe seems to be suggesting I move to Toronto, which is not actually something I really want to do, but not doing it increasingly feels like Macbeth trying to ignore prophecy, so, I don't know. Pretty much all my closest friends have wound up there, or are planning to wind up there in the next year or so.
2. I changed jobs. I started looking in January/Februaryish, interviewed for a position I really really wanted, did not get it, and the morning I got the rejection email and had big plans like "cry a lot", a friend from university texted me to tell me about a position in her department. I'm on casual contract, working 3 (soon to be 4) days a week, no benefits, and it's only a short-term contract for a short-term project (aimed to be finished by December 2016, though I'll likely be done before then), so it's not really The Dream, but it is a significant pay increase not to mention significant stability increase (for the time being), I like the work well enough (I'm a web writer), and I like my team. I wish it had a sense of permanence to it, because gosh golly would it be nice to be able to plan any fucking thing in my life ever more than 6 months in advance, but, y'know. ~Millennials~. In the meantime though I can't complain too much. Check back this time next year when my contract has expired.
3. Somewhat related since I'm working federally again, Canadian politics is a hot ass mess right now. I'm not sure which party I will vote for in October, but I sure know which party I won't be voting for. Contemplating a world where Harper wins yet another election is truly terrifying, and it is utterly baffling to me that this is even a remote possibility. If there is a God, the CPC will be decimated this election the way the Liberals were last election.
4. I started playing floor hockey. Sports??? Me??? Really? It is fun, although I am not very good. Most of my team is not very good either, so it works out, lmao.
1. Doctor Who starts on Saturday and I have never been less interested, womp womp. I think I would have been more interested if we had a new companion, but as much as I once liked Clara, 3 years of her is too much, especially after s8 gave her, like, four different wonderful exit points. It will be truly remarkable and sort of sad if what finally drives me away from DW fandom is not anything dramatically enraging like the 50th or River Song's life, but rather the sheer mediocrity of 5 years of Moffat with no end in sight, but here we are. Not with a bang but a whimper, and all.
2. The result of #1 is that I have been sort of fandom homeless for a while. I don't like being fandom homeless, because fictional escapism is my fave coping mechanism, so it's a restless feeling. I did briefly foray into Broadchurch fandom when s2 was airing -- I even wrote some fic (???!!) -- but a show that airs every other year with 8 episodes isn't very sustainable, fandom-wise. Can't w8 for s3 to come out in five billion years.
3. I've watched and enjoyed a few TV shows this year, although none in a "give me all the fic you have" way: Orphan Black continues to be one of my fave shows ever. Sense8 was wonderful, probably my favourite new show of 2015 so far, and I'm super relieved it got renewed. I watched Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 five years later and it was hysterical, R I P. I've got one episode left to watch of Humans, which is also great scifi. Daredevil I was shockingly into, as someone who wanted essentially nothing to do with Daredevil up until the point I watched it and developed a massive crush on Matt Murdock.
4. I'm also mega hyped for Jessica Jones, which at this point reads like a laundry list of my fave things, including but not limited to a female lead, a female superhero (!!!), a dark-n-gritty female superhero lead with PTSD who insists she isn't a hero but keeps doing heroic things anyway, a psychological thriller, Claire Temple, Krysten Ritter, and David Tennant. I bought the Alias omnibus about a month ago with a gift certificate, making it the first comic series I've ever read, and it was awesome. I can't wait. Jessica Jones is such a good character. The cast is gonna kill it. Eventually I'm gonna get to see love of my life Jessica Jones interact with love of my life Matt Murdock. Praise be to Netflix.
5. Aside from the Jessica Jones anticipation though, I started rereading Harry Potter, and I have completely relapsed into Harry Potter. Spoiler alert: I fuckin love Harry Potter. I had thought, when I started rereading -- since this is the first time I've read any of the books in about 5 years -- that perhaps my tastes would have changed and I'd find myself feeling differently about things and characters etc. Wrong!!!! My taste has always been amazing, Lily/James otp 4ever, etc. I'm 12 pages into a new Lily/James fic, in the year of our lord 2015. I will probably write more fic after I finish this one. What a time to be alive. I finished Prisoner of Azkaban (my faaaave) a few weeks ago and have been waiting to start GOF after I finish this fic. The most disturbing part about rereading is how old I now realize I am in comparison to these children. Harry & co are tiny babies! Lily and James get married, have babies and die before they are as old as I am! I'm older than the Cool Adults like Bill and Tonks! I'm so old my teacher crush on Remus Lupin is now just a regular crush! But anyway, it's been fun, I love Harry Potter, I wanna go see this mysterious play next summer, etc.
6. This was the summer of cons for me, since after seeing David Tennant and Billie Piper at Wizard World Philadelphia I ended up going to Montreal CC with goldy_dollar, shinyopals and lacunaz, where we saw Billie Piper, Karen Gillan, Caitlin Blackwood and Eve Myles. It was pretty cool -- I got to ask Eve Myles a question about Broadchurch, got a photo with Karen who is a doll, and we got an amazing group shot with Billie lmao. It was fun! Only Freema Agyeman remains on my gotta-catch-em-all Doctor Who cast list.