?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

sectumsempra

...

  • 7th Jan, 2009 at 6:26 PM
HBP movie receives PG rating from MPAA

I'm pretty disappointed/concerned about this. Either WB fucked up the movie, or the MPAA thinks Sectumsempra, Inferi, Horcruxes, and Katie Bell's poisoning are okay for children. Neither of the options is very appealing. I've always thought HBP was the darkest of all the books, so I really can't fathom how it could possibly be PG when even PoA was PG-13.

*fumes*
annoyed

Comments

( 19 — Speak )
maggie
marguerite_26 wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 02:35 (UTC)
um, yeah... what you said.
PG? I can't imagine.
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 04:32 (UTC)
I know :( I've never known the MPAA to be lax with its ratings, so I don't have much hope for my favourite scenes.
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 04:32 (UTC)
I know :( I've never known the MPAA to be lax with its ratings, so I don't have much hope for my favourite scenes.
Eeri
eerisedda wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 03:01 (UTC)
What. The. Fuck.


No, no, no, no. Let me repeat that.

WHAT IN THE FRILLY HECK!?!?!?!?!


You know, I am always concerned, no matter how excited, for the movies because they always suck. WB does a shite job on them. It's just fact. But... seriously.... this is just... beyond bad, as for as signs for the quality of this one.

I'm gonna hope that the MPAA are just a bunch of idiots.

Of course, I think if they films are done well, they could go as high as R, but WB won't because they want the young kids that go at midnight without parents to see it so they don't lose money.

Fuck you, WB. FUCK. YOU!
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 04:34 (UTC)
Seriously, I think a good (not to mention faithful) movie adaptation would definitely warrant an R rating. Honestly, making it PG-13 is NOT isolating that much of the audience. Most of the people who go to see the HP movies are fans of the book, meaning, in most cases, that they grew up with the book and are therefore in their teens.

Man. This sucks. WB just keeps fucking up.

Edited at 2009-01-08 04:35 (UTC)
Eeri
eerisedda wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 04:41 (UTC)
haha. You basically said the same thing I said in my blog just now. If they want to be good and faithful, they should be R.

And it's true, most of the audience wouldn't be isolated.

Well, that's WB for you. A bunch of idiots.
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 04:34 (UTC)
Seriously, I think a good (not to mention faithful) movie adaptation would definitely warrant an R rating. Honestly, making it PG-13 is NOT isolating that much of the audience. Most of the people who go to see the HP movies are fans of the book, meaning, in most cases, that they grew up with the book and are therefore in their teens.

Man. This sucks. WB just keeps fucking up.

Edited at 2009-01-08 04:35 (UTC)
Eeri
eerisedda wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 04:41 (UTC)
haha. You basically said the same thing I said in my blog just now. If they want to be good and faithful, they should be R.

And it's true, most of the audience wouldn't be isolated.

Well, that's WB for you. A bunch of idiots.
Eeri
eerisedda wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 04:41 (UTC)
haha. You basically said the same thing I said in my blog just now. If they want to be good and faithful, they should be R.

And it's true, most of the audience wouldn't be isolated.

Well, that's WB for you. A bunch of idiots.
tiger_flame
tiger_flame wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 04:50 (UTC)
*stares*
*fumes*
*rants to friends*
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 07:01 (UTC)
*does the same* :(
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 07:01 (UTC)
*does the same* :(
she had the face of an angel & the body of a devil
nuclearsugars wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 10:48 (UTC)
Wait, what!? o.0 For serious? This is completely mind-boggling! I don't understand. HOW DOES MILD SENSUALITY GET A PG RATING? FUCKING TWILIGHT HAS A PG-13 RATING FOR A "SCENE OF MILD SENSUALITY." What the fuck? This just tops it. First they cut Dumbledore's funeral, then they add the effing Burrow scene, and now this?! I have no hope for a half-way decent movie now.

This upsets me. I'm going to go cry now.
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 23:23 (UTC)
Dude, Twilight TRIES to make sparkly vampires dark and gets a PG-13 movie. HBP is dark in every possible way, and it gets bumped down to PG? This is ridiculous. The HP movie industry has disappointed me in every possible way.
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 23:23 (UTC)
Dude, Twilight TRIES to make sparkly vampires dark and gets a PG-13 movie. HBP is dark in every possible way, and it gets bumped down to PG? This is ridiculous. The HP movie industry has disappointed me in every possible way.
trichinopoly ash
aldehyde wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 16:25 (UTC)
PG?! WHAT THE?

i've read a few reviews by ppl who went to pre-screenings and everyone's said that the movie IS dark and quite freaky and the truest to canon, so i dunno how it can be all that and still have a pg rating..
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 23:22 (UTC)
I bet they cut some parts out :\ It's probably one of the reasons why they delayed the release -- they were supposed to be in post-production in October, but they probably went back and edited the movie to make it more kid friendly.
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 23:22 (UTC)
I bet they cut some parts out :\ It's probably one of the reasons why they delayed the release -- they were supposed to be in post-production in October, but they probably went back and edited the movie to make it more kid friendly.
The Acute Changes of a virus
kairi999 wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 20:13 (UTC)
WTF? Are they dense? I swore when I read the 6th novel the rating in my head was PG-13. This book was darker compared to the previous novels and the movie gets a PG rating? *so confused*
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 23:18 (UTC)
Seriously, there were some parts in the book that I felt deserved an R rating. I mean, seriously, the part in the cave? That was disturbing as hell. Even something like Riddle's visit to Hepzibah Smith creeps me out. Ugh. If they make it all glossy and happy like the first two movies, I'm going to be so upset.
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 23:18 (UTC)
Seriously, there were some parts in the book that I felt deserved an R rating. I mean, seriously, the part in the cave? That was disturbing as hell. Even something like Riddle's visit to Hepzibah Smith creeps me out. Ugh. If they make it all glossy and happy like the first two movies, I'm going to be so upset.
jacdan67
coolblue67 wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 22:22 (UTC)
Of course we can fathom what it's all about. In this global downturn its all about the 'MONEY' and how much they can make. I bet they cut out whatever they needed to to make that PG rating too. It really is a lesson in 'how to exploit your fans to the max' >:/
...and the exploitation doesn't finish there now that they've split DH into two parts. Just what the fuck was in that book that they felt the need to it split into two movies?! 'MO MONEY'!!
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 23:17 (UTC)
I actually heard that they're considering not splitting DH into two movies because of the economy. WB's budget has been cut for DH, so they don't have enough money to split it :\ I guess the economic problems go both ways.
jacdan67
coolblue67 wrote:
12th Jan, 2009 19:23 (UTC)
If that's the case thank God for that. Someone at WB has seen sense!
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
8th Jan, 2009 23:17 (UTC)
I actually heard that they're considering not splitting DH into two movies because of the economy. WB's budget has been cut for DH, so they don't have enough money to split it :\ I guess the economic problems go both ways.
jacdan67
coolblue67 wrote:
12th Jan, 2009 19:23 (UTC)
If that's the case thank God for that. Someone at WB has seen sense!
jacdan67
coolblue67 wrote:
12th Jan, 2009 19:23 (UTC)
If that's the case thank God for that. Someone at WB has seen sense!
Shannon
my_quorum wrote:
9th Jan, 2009 13:38 (UTC)
I'm disappointed and actually a little surprised. I mean, I can't hope for much considering every single movie in the series so far (but I hated PoA the most), but the fact that it garnered a PG...

I don't know. I'm not impressed by WB's adaptations. I wasn't from the very beginning, when they couldn't even be bothered to digitally alter Daniel Radcliff's eyes to green (or make him buy contacts) because: SURPRISE! Important plot point.

But you're right, the giant gashes in Draco's chest? Not PG. And the scene in the cave is going to be so watered down... I don't know if I'll go see this one. Maybe I'll see it in IMAX so I can appreciate the special effects that apparently outweigh the plot. There were some pretty sweet special effects in OotP. If I look at it that way, I think less about the bastardization of the books.
Shannon
my_quorum wrote:
9th Jan, 2009 13:39 (UTC)
I mean *wear* contacts. Obviously he wouldn't have to buy them ;)
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
10th Jan, 2009 00:43 (UTC)
Seriously. I mean, they couldn't have known for sure that Harry's eyes would be important later on, but come on, anyone with half a brain would notice that his eyes were emphasised way more than necessary.

I just don't understand the way the movies are approached. There are a lot of plot points that they could keep to satisfy the fans, and none of them would take up unnecessary space or cost too much money. I've taken several screenwriting classes, so I know a fair bit about turning a story into a successful film, and I can say for sure that they don't gain anything by leaving certain things (such as Dumbledore's funeral) out.

*sigh* The cave scene is going to be the biggest disappointment of the year. That was one of my favourite scenes in the HP series -- so dark and suspenseful and moving.
Shannon
my_quorum wrote:
9th Jan, 2009 13:39 (UTC)
I mean *wear* contacts. Obviously he wouldn't have to buy them ;)
Annie
_pinkchocolate wrote:
10th Jan, 2009 00:43 (UTC)
Seriously. I mean, they couldn't have known for sure that Harry's eyes would be important later on, but come on, anyone with half a brain would notice that his eyes were emphasised way more than necessary.

I just don't understand the way the movies are approached. There are a lot of plot points that they could keep to satisfy the fans, and none of them would take up unnecessary space or cost too much money. I've taken several screenwriting classes, so I know a fair bit about turning a story into a successful film, and I can say for sure that they don't gain anything by leaving certain things (such as Dumbledore's funeral) out.

*sigh* The cave scene is going to be the biggest disappointment of the year. That was one of my favourite scenes in the HP series -- so dark and suspenseful and moving.
( 19 — Speak )