If you could write the next Star Wars movie, what story would you tell? It could be anything: a sequel, prequel, or anything in-between. Describe your adventure in 300 words or less. Our favorite story will receive a Star Wars saga Blu-ray gift pack! [Contest Details
I wouldn't actually write it; I'd have Timothy Zahn use his Thrawn trilogy as a basis to write the screenplay for episodes 7, 8, & 9. George Lucas & Steven Spielberg could co-direct them.
There are several reasons I think those books would be great as the next trilogy:
1) It's a great story that involves the mopping up of the Empire (the remnants of which, of course, are still a threat), the next generation of the Solo family, interesting new alien cultures, Luke's growth as a Jedi, and a whole lot of action...among other things.
2) Zahn's writing translates really well to the screen. He uses great descriptions of scenes, character development in word & action rather than just in their own minds (which is critical), and follows the same type of "cinematography" of scenes that you see in the original trilogy.
3) He follows "official canon." I.e., the storyline was approved by Lucas, or at least by the Star Wars franchise. So that's one hurdle that's already past.
4) A lot of Star Wars fans really love those books...which means that there's definitely a market, from a business standpoint.
The only problems would be:
1) A lot of the characters in the original trilogy would need to make a return, which is difficult to do, since (obviously) the actors are all 30 years older, and they'd only be 5 years older in the movies. I'm sure it can be done with "movie magic," but it's still a challenge.
2) Apparently, George Lucas has decided not to do any more Star Wars movies...or at least not episodes 7, 8, & 9. Maybe Spielberg could direct them by himself. (Of course, Lucas owns the rights, but perhaps they could come to an arrangement.)
Anyway, that's what I'd choose.