So, my love niri
has shown me the goodness of BitTorrent. We've been downloading shows like maniacs for the last couple weeks. The download speed has never been what I'd call 'zippy', however. .1 to .9 kbps is was normal. 1.5 pretty likely. 5 was considered good. The upload speeds were much better, up to 30kbps. Now we like helping everyone and all, but I just assumed it had to get better than this. Also there was another problem that the 'ping' we were getting on all other computers was often up over 1000ms. That's 1 second to wait for a response from the internet. Our resident world of warcraft drone was buzzing fairly loudly about this.
So, after much reading on the subject I did the following :
1. Updated the version of uTorrent from 1.2 to 1.6
2. Set up our media center with a Static IP Address
3. Set up Port Forwarding
After completing this I was thrilled to find the download speeds when up were often in the 20's, sometimes as high as 300!
There was a new problem, however, the 'Trackers' all went offline fairly frequently. Trackers are the computers that act as BitTorrent pimps to hook you up with other people to get pieces of data from. Now, you can still get hooked up by getting word from people you already know but new ones are more likely to have data you want. After (much) searching I put the IP address of my router in the "IP/Hostname to report to tracker" box in uTorrent preferences.
The last problem was the ping was still in a terrible state. After some investigation I changed the 'Number of Upslots per torrent' to 1 (instead of 4). This means one person can download from us at a time (at whatever speed). This restored our ping to a happy 20-50ms.
Feeling acomplished I retired with the kid to pizza and watching episodes 3-10 of Aeon Flux (Man, that's a wacko series) eating pizza and drinking rum & cokes.
And that, is my saturday night.