Today I watched My friend Joe. I was very curious to see how they had adapted the novel (incidentally called Johnny, my friend in English) for the screen. Of course I had realised that Peter Pohl's brilliant writing style would be lost, but I was dismayed to find they had changed the whole story around as well, turning it into a fairly harmless family movie. It is a good enough story in its own right, I suppose, but it cannot hold a candle to the original. Shame.
This afternoon I cleaned the bathroom. Applying a cleaning tip I had seen in Houses behaving badly, I mixed equal parts of baking soda and bleach to clean the tiles in the shower, more in particular the grouting. Gawd, that stuff is vile! Not only did the smell transport me back straightaway to my schooldays swimming lessons (UGH!), but it also made my eyes sting, my throat burn and gave me a coughing fit before I was even halfway. Snot was literally running down my nose. So instead of letting it sit for 10 minutes, I opened several doors and windows to create a draught and rinsed the gunk off immediately, making sure everything had gone. Needless to say, the effect on the grouting was hardly noticeable.
It is now evening and my throat still feels dry, and I'm coughing occasionally. The leftover bleach is going straight back to my mum's (I had borrowed it from her), I don't want it in my house ever again. This was the first and the last time I used it. I'll stick to baking soda and vinegar from now on!
From sophyQ, ( Collapse )