I will be away from my computer for the rest of the year, so I wish everybody
(art & card by sophyq)
Taken from heartofdavid, my review of the year 2004:
1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Become unemployed; start an online journal.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never make them. Every day is a good day to make a new start.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Financial independence (preferably through winning the lottery).
6. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
2 Nov.: murder of Theo van Gogh.
3 Nov.: outcome of the American presidential elections.
Both were an outrage.
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
8. What was your biggest failure?
Procrastination, my lack of discipline.
9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The usual. Post-nasal drip, a head cold, (still) coughing my lungs out.
10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
12. Where did most of your money go?
The biggest expense was my PowerBook, Natasha. Apart from that, books and DVDs.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Receiving the Lewis Furey mp3s (see #14) as a surprise gift; Angels in America.
14. What song will always remind you of 2004?
Lewis Furey's early versions of Lewis is crazy and Louise (What a sad summer). The 45 dates from 1972, but I had never heard it before. And I guess: Limonadeglazen wodka - Spinvis, and Crazy love - Marianne Faithfull.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? about the same
b) thinner or fatter? about the same
c) richer or poorer? poorer
16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Enjoyed the day more, reading, other hobbies.
17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinate, waste time.
18. How will you be spending Christmas?
With my family.
19. Did you fall in love in 2004?
20. What was your favorite TV program?
Angels in America.
21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
22. What was the best book you read?
I've been reading several great books this year (hopefully I'll finish some of them in time for next year's list :s ), but the only one I finished that is worth a mention is The not-so-very-nice goings-on at Victoria Lodge, by Philip Ardagh. It made me laugh out loud several times.
23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I fell in love with Spinvis' music; also early music (thanks to a CD by L'Arpeggiata).
24. What did you want and get?
As a present: The complete Far Side, by Gary Larson.
25. What did you want and not get?
The job in A.
26. What was your favourite film of this year?
I didn’t see any new films. *blush*
27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I've lost count. I remember stepping off the tram and walking the short route home in the pouring rain, carrying Sophie in my arms (the huge plant one of my colleagues gave me), and getting soaked to the skin.
28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having spent my time more wisely.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
30. What kept you sane?
Music, friends, humour.
31. What political issue stirred you the most?
32. Who did you miss?
My previous upstairs neighbour.
33. Who was the best new person you met?
The friends I made on lj. :)
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
I keep reminding myself that "life's too short to be sad".
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Now I read it over I must say that it sounds rather depressing, but I'm feeling really good, actually. So, to end on a positive, if slightly embarrassing, note: tonight I found the missing bottle of Tramp again! I had put it in the thermos bag where I keep my essential oils. Like a good squirrel, I don't recall putting it there, although I do understand the reasoning behind it: apart from the fridge, it was the coolest place in the house when we had the hot spell. The stupid thing is, I do believe I looked in the bag when I was searching for the bottle! Anyway, very glad that it has turned up and that it was nobody's doing but my own. :o
Be good, y'all. Have a wonderful time and I hope to 'see' you in the new year! :)