March 18th, 2009



I have three pet rats. A Brown Norway named Splinter, a Fawn Hooded named Abaddon (the Destroyer), and a Fawn Hooded named Balthazar. Splinter is doing quite well, especially for a rat that is rapidly approaching two years old. The two Fawn Hooded... not so much.

Abaddon has been growing an abdominal tumor for about a month now. As much as I'd like to get it removed I know when rats start to get tumors then they just keep growing back. It doesn't seem to be causing him any distress so until it does, I'm going to leave it alone.

Because I was so concerned about Abaddon it surprised me when Balthazar became ill. I have no idea what is wrong with him but he rapidly lost weight, he has been breathing rapidly, and I think his fluid intake has decreased significantly. I've tried several things to nurse him back to help but none have had any lasting success. Over the last couple of days he has gotten worse and looks to be in pain. I hate to see him suffering which means I am at the point that I need to make the hard decision. Unless he has made a miraculous recovery before I get home from work I think I'm going to take him into the vet and have him put down.

**Rat update**
When I got home from work Balthazar seemed to have improved from this morning. He still isn't doing well but he doesn't look like he is in serious pain. He seems to be eating and drinking again, hopefully that will last.

I called the vet to see how much it would cost if it came to having him put down. 90 dollars, I had no idea it would be that expensive. Does it make me a horrible person to not want to pay that much? It was a moot point tonight, I didn't make it home from work before the vet closed. I guess I'll see how he is doing in the morning.
  • Current Mood
    sad sad