*Hoping the nose will be a dominant/transmissable trait*
Sibster: We are wondering whether it will decide to be born _on_ our first anniversary.
It's entirely possible, actually-- due date is a bit later, but first babies can be early and... um.. yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about here.
They waited until Sibster was past the "danger zone" of the first trimester, and had had relevant bloodtests and things. It's kind of weird, because when Christmas plans were being talked about, and there was the "will they or won't they come down from Boston," I was thinking, "No, she won't be able to travel, on account of being pregnant." Which she was, but hadn't mentioned it to anybody yet.
The immediate pregnancy is, by the way, utterly in line with their plans and schedule-- Sibster is... err... old enough that they didn't want to wait. She essentially, instead of getting married early and having children after a couple of years, did career stuff first and got settled and actually spent quite a long time finding a husband (which sounds like she was setting up bear traps or something, but I mean that she was actively on the market with the eventual goal of matrimony and family and so on, going through the normal contemporary channels people seem to use to find spouses... and... um, yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about here either). So, when they talked about getting married, and about having children, they talked about having children fairly quickly-- also because then Stepnephew would not be too far away in age, or at least not too much farther in age.
Aside from the bit where it's hard to wrap my brain around this whole thing (even though I knew it was planned, and desired, and so on), I am thrilled to bits that Mom and Dad are going to be grandparents (in addition to step-grandparents, which they are already enjoying, although they recognize that Step-grandson will never really be close to them the way he is to his non-step-grandparents, etc., etc.), and very excited for Sibster, because she does want children, my reactions seem to be as follows:
1) Ooo! Can buy presents for expectant sister, and then for baby!
2) Hmm... is it too early to buy presents for expectant sister? I mean, past first trimester, yes, but, should one wait, I mean....
3) Yes, but, want to find way to express, "Yaaaay!" and don't live close enough to be proper planner-of-showers, and...
4) *Cannot shake sense that the cats will be Offended by the new arrival... although Maine Coon may be more Baffled, since that's closer to his normal setting*
5) Must not nickname upcoming niece/nephew "the Bun"... must not nickname upcoming niece/nephew "the Bun"....