I literally JUST finished watching but I wanted to get down my own thoughts/immediate reactions before reading other people's posts or talking to anyone about it. SO, off the top of my head:
- The Doctor being painted naked and hiding under the artist's skirt while still naked had me rolling my eyes, ngl.
- LOL LOL @ the Easter island burn
- I didn't anticipate Eleven being the one who "dies" (still waiting for the get-out-of-jail card there) before the show aired, but once the episode started I got that ~feel, especially when he was all "you cannot interfere". It was however not emotional for me, the same way the Doctor fake-dying is always sort of an emotional non-event. As hard as Karen, Alex and Arthur were trying to make me sympathize, and they did okay -- especially Alex -- I'm also like "yeah yeah w/e the Doctor is clearly not dead forever". It was similar to my non-emotion during Eleven's rewind in The Big Bang.
- I think it's interesting that they picked up evidently after the Ponds have left the Doctor already -- does that mean the coming season is going to be set ...before... the opening two-parter? That sounds weird, but seems like a Moffat thing to do, so we'll see.
- Having said that, we'd better go back and see that stuff. I mean, when did Eleven and River become so flirty? Especially since he went from being all "I can't and don't trust you" at the start of the episode to all "HEYYY ;D ;D ;D ;D" later on. I'm not bothered by it, but I was pretty surprised. I'm not sure when they got to that point. (But then, it seems like we've skipped a year or so, so...)
- On a similar note, River's scene with Rory was good -- I liked that she acknowledged how fucked up their backwards relationship is because the first time he meets bbRiver he knows everything and holds all the cards. And I liked that Rory connected this to the Doctor and Amy. My biggest sticking point with Doctor/River is the backwardsness leading to a relative lack of consent/free will, and I had been skeptical that the text would ever acknowledge this as problematic, so I liked it. Her foreshadowing/calling back to the Library episodes was good, probably would've been emotional rather than making me lol if I had enjoyed the Library episodes more. (Note to self: rewatch.) Does this mean that every time we see River we are literally going further and further back on her timeline? At first I was all "River whatchoo talkin' bout, he knows you more and more" but then I realized that I guess this for her is... before the Pandorica and the Byzantium? GOD IDK someone needs to draw me a diagram of River's life.
- Amy is pregnant! Knew it, but I was glad to get that covered and out of the way in 6x01, rather than have her tease this for ages. I guess that's not her secret from the Doctor then...? Since she just told him? And then shot a child, but the child seemed pretty safe and not-dead in the Next Time preview so I am not too concerned. I am curious about why it is SO crucial for her to tell the Doctor RIGHT NOW, and whether or not Rory knows.
- "Time can be rewritten." "Not everything." Ugh, thank you River, let's get some laws of time up in here.
- I'm sure the internet is full of everyone talking about how THE SILENTS ARE THE STUFF OF NIGHTMARES but they did not scare me at all. I think the idea of forgetting them as soon as you look away is good, but the actual look of them and stuff hasn't creeped me out at all. Eh. But that is okay because this show rarely manages to creep me out.
- As always, needs moar Rory.
In short, very intriguing start to a series. I feel like I can't really judge the episode properly until I see 6x02. I am SO READY for a (half-)season of this show though, omg, come to me already.