This madness is all xena_warrior's fault. It is pretty wild though to really look at the character in this much detail!
EFNY: Escape from New York (Movie, script or commentary)
EFNYN: Escape from New York Novel by Mike McQuay
EFLA: Escape From LA (Movie, script or commentary)
SPC: The Snake Plissken Chronicles
AOSP: The Adventures of Snake Plissken
Other sources as needed
the first 50 can be found here.
51. Snake Plissken likes Elvis Presley.
52. Crime against the government is the only thing that makes Snake feel better when it comes to his guilt. He does something everyday against the government to ease that feeling especially the rage related to the death of his parents.
53. Snake is often mesmerized by women at times. Eyes full of pain, mischievous smiles, long legs, big eyes, smiles that say they know something he doesn’t and innocence all get under Snake’s skin and are a big turn on.
54. Snake has a scar on the left side of his face just below the patch from the piece of shrapnel that broke his goggle letting the poison gas blind him. He also has scars on his left leg from Leningrad, his right shoulder from Siberia, one on his left side from being shot in the stomach in Cleveland and one on his left thigh from the arrow in New York. Eventually he also has another scar on his right thigh from Map to the Stars Edie shooting him in the LA sewers and a slice across the chest from Cuervo Jones.
55. Snake is protective of children. He doesn’t like seeing them harmed. He has a natural fatherly aspect that shows through only briefly but was very visible in his interactions and treatment of Taylor. Also the look on his face when he sees the children in the electrocution facilities at the beginning of EFLA and the look on his face when the president sends his daughter, Utopia, to the electric chairs, You can see that Snake is unhappy about the situation.
56. Snake is very good at many sports including basketball, surfing, hang gliding and rock climbing.
57. Snake has a fondness for whores, strippers, call girls… the “working” girls of the world as well as street girls.
58. Snake has the ability to use his mouth for complicated tasks including opening pockets and a mouth dart case without his hands. Tie a cherry stem in a knot? No problem! LMAO
59. Snake hates to ask for help and 9 times out of ten when he does he is only using the people involved.
60. Snake still has his eye under the patch. The nerves controlling the muscles have been severely damaged by the poison gas. This leaves his pupil open as far as the iris will allow. His eye is extremely sensitive to light and tracks very slowly. There is also mild damage to the cornea and retina due to exposure to light once he was pulled from his glider. This leaves a cataract like haze in his vision but otherwise the eye is functional in the dark or low light.
61. Snake was a war hero and inspiration to America during his service. He was seen as a model and figure that children should look up to. It was never anything he took seriously but it did give him a big ego when it came to his own abilities.
62. Snake has a college degree. It is never written in canon but I suspect it is in engineering or geology. More likely mechanical engineering given his position once he entered the military. One might suspect Physics but in EFNY it is shown that Snake does not understand the workings of Nuclear devices (i.e. how the explosion works on a physical and chemical level) This clearly rules out Physics.
63. Snake is very knowledgeable when it comes to repairing machinery, weapons, vehicles etc. He is not so good with manipulating computers/programming and always left that end of things to Taylor. (This also supports the above idea of Snake studying mechanical engineering.)
64. Snake was a rough and tumble, show off, hot shot as a young man and a boy.
65. Despite outward appearances Snake has a lot of respect for Hauk. He just chooses not to show it because he is a blackbelly. This respect does slip through on one occasion when Snake doesn’t tell Hauk his son, who was sent to NY Max for theft, had become a crazy or that Snake had shot his hand off. (For those who have seen the movie. The crazy who sticks his hand through the window and Snake shoots his hand off, that is Hauk’s son in the book)
66. Though Snake is very good at hiding his emotions those who know him can detect his hidden mood by his actions. When frustrated he has a tendency to run his hands through his hair. He shifts his weight in place when impatient and the left side of his face below the patch twitches when he is angry or upset. Most of his expressions come from his eye and he can very easily convey his feelings with a look when he wants to.
67. Snake hates anyone or anything touching his patch. One of the greatest shows of trust for Snake is letting someone’s hands get near his patch. The only one ever shown touching near or on his patch while he is unrestrained is Taslima who he has obvious affection for by how he treats her and his expression when she dies.
68. Snake’s ability to escape and to show up after he should be dead is legendary. Phrases like “You’re Snake Plissken? I heard you were dead.” And “We thought we had you in Cleveland. How’d you manage to slip away.” Are common from other characters. Even more so then his crime, his ability to elude is what everyone remembers.
69. Snake is a daredevil by nature. He is always looking for a thrill and adrenaline rush. Despite this aspect of his personality he’d rather just slip away and disappear then fight his way free of a situation through brute force.
70. Snake is a brilliant tactician. He can objectively treat the world as a chess board and move pieces accordingly. Nowhere is this more obvious then the events of Escape from LA. All the way down to deducing the USPF would suspect him of a switch and putting Utopia in the right place to be caught.
71. Manipulative, deceptive, sneaking and a flat faced liar when needed, Snake knows how to convince people of anything. He has the ability to sell his points to others and win them over to his cause. Just the same he can force people to an arms length if that is what he wants.
72. Of all the things done to him, being used to further another’s goal is what he hates the most. Though some read his involvement in set ups as being gullible, it is just as likely that he lets others set him up so that he can use it to his advantage later.
73. Snake has unlimited patience when it comes to getting his way in a situation.
74. Snake is a true neutral. He doesn’t stand on either side of any conflict instead he works to bring both sides down. It is said best in the words he says to Malloy right before activating the Sword of Damocles. “Shut down the Third World, they lose, you win. Shut down America, you lose, they win. The more things change, the more things stay the same.”
75. Snake is resolute and indifferent toward death. He knows everyone will someday and accepts that but relies on his luck and wit to keep him alive until his goal is accomplished.
76. Snake wants to disappear and be left alone but won’t until he has overthrown the government. He is simply looking for retribution, to set things right and then to be left in peace.
77. Snake received two purple hearts (Leningrad for his eye and Siberia for a bullet to the chest/shoulder) He receive numerous other decorations including the Medal of Honor, Air Force Cross, Presidential Unit Citation, Gallant Unit Citation, Outstanding Unit Award, Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon, Air Force Overseas Long Tour Service Ribbon, Military Training Instructor Ribbon, Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon, Air Force Distinguished Service Medal, two or more Silver Stars, two or more Air Medals, Distinguished Flying Cross, National Defense Service Medal, and one or more Prisoner of War Medals. (For information on service medals go here.) The Purple Heart, Medal of Honor and POW Awards are canon the rest are based on what he would have received based on the descriptions of his service history in the novel and various other sources.
78. Snake was always proud of his military service even if he thought the “War Hero” treatment was bullshit. That all changed after Leningrad and he regarded his military service as worse then a waste of his time and life. He even now regrets being wounded in the defense of his country because he has lost the belief that any of his service was ever truly in the defense of America itself.
79. Snake is fluent in several languages. English of course, Russian from the war, Spanish which is obvious from his comprehension of Cuervo Jones, Thai which he picked up during or learned prior to the few years he spent in Thailand gunfighting and possibly German due to the areas he was stationed during the war.
80. Snake is also well traveled. He saw most of Europe and Asia during the war as well as Cuba and some of the Caribbean. Mexico during his early gunfighting career and possibly Argentina (From comments made by Cuervo Jones), Thailand, most of continental US, Canada and possibly even some of the Middle East and North Africa during the early years of the war before the Russian/Communist front opened.
81. Snake suffers from severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, sometimes referred to as combat stress reaction when it relates to combat experiences. Snake has the classic symptoms which include the following: nightmares, flashbacks, emotional detachment or numbing of feelings (emotional self-mortification or dissociation), insomnia, avoidance of reminders and extreme distress when exposed to the reminders ("triggers"), irritability, hypervigilance, excessive startle response, clinical depression and anxiety, loss of appetite. (Taylor’s thoughts in EFNYN touch on many of these especially the nightmares, hypervigilance and startle response.) There is no way of knowing when he started suffering from the disorder but after Leningrad it hit a level where it seriously affected his life. In EFNYN when Brain is killed on the bridge Snake stops to watch Maggie head for him and thinks… “Leningrad. It was Leningrad all over again, and he was saving a man who nobody cared about for purposes that made no rational sense.” Later when he is talking to Harker after escaping. ““We lost some people back on the bridge,” he said, and he couldn’t separate New York from Leningrad. They both formed some horrible amorphous lump in his mind.”
82. Notes on Snake’s attire. The pants are in canon Russian Front Snow Camo pants. Customized glider pilot boots (i.e. someone added those metal plates). Later he adds the Smith and Wesson 629 Hunter custom revolvers and the leather and brushed steel holsters. I assume they were either purchased by him when he started getting serious about gunfighting or they were a trophy from one of the people he shot.
83. Despite his impressive list of crimes Snake has never committed a planned one against a private establishment/business. All of his crimes have been against the military and/or government owned or operated establishments. Snake has done street gunfighting and some other crimes to survive but his premeditated stealing and property destruction is limited to the government and military.
84. Snake has witnessed many companions being killed by the USPF. Taylor was gunned down, Fresno Bob was skinned alive, Captain Ron dies more or less in Snake’s arms and Texas Mike O’Shay was shot. There are bound to be others and we won’t even go into all the women that he has seen die.
85. Bob Hauk and Snake have been on more then one mission where their glider squadrons worked together. Leningrad was one of them.
86. Snake was born March 3rd 1967 if you use Kurt Russell’s age (30) at filming. This makes his conception date June 6th 1966.
87. Snake receives the nickname presumably after escaping a POW capture early in his military career. He gets the tattoo six months to a year later. The name sticks even more so after subsequent missions and his ability to escape from the USPF. It is also related to Snake-eyes (i.e. one eyed) and his viper like words/wit and fast draw.
88. Snake turns in on himself and away from society before he learns his parents were burned alive by the USPF. His parent’s deaths though solidify his hatred and send him into temporary madness.
89. Snake’s criminal career starts in sabotage and destruction of military equipment (mostly vehicles). It isn’t until later he turned to bank robbery and theft.
90. Snake has kidnapped a number of people; bank officials and IRS agents but all were released unharmed. People in power didn’t understand but while Snake will use people to get what he wants he doesn’t necessarily wish to kill them. Though eventually he does kill an IRS agent he has hostage and that leads to him being labeled “The most wanted man” by the USPF.
91. Though cut from the movies Snake is severely beaten and tortured prior to both Escape from New York and Escape from LA… and presumably any other imprisonments.
92. Due to Snake viewing the world as a war of him against the “bad” elements Snake views anyone who turns on him as a traitor. A war traitor, a turncoat and the penalty for treason is always death. Plissken believes a traitor should die slow enough for the execution to be enjoyable.
93. Snake does not view his injuries as a burden, save for one thing, he hates not being able to wink at women.
94. Snake has the ability to focus so intently on one thing that the rest of the world, except his pain, fades away. He uses it on multiple occasions including his gun fights and the fight with Slag in EFNY.
95. Snake needs attention and to know others realize the horrors that are going on in the world to fill the void in his life left by all the death and deception. It was why Snake asked the President how he felt about the people who died in New York to save him. Snake is searching for compassion to make him feel whole again and there is none to be found.
96. Despite on and off involvement with gangs Snake is not fond of them. He also has a wide range of knowledge regarding their identification, turf and mannerisms. (EFNYN)
97. He is an atheist. Snake may have been religious at some point but by the time he is seen in EFNY he has lost all belief in any sort of salvation or higher power. HE also seems to hold the belief that if there was a higher power of some sort it has abandoned humanity.
98. Snake is not greedy. Both times he refers to theft of money or payment he is fine with dividing it up between everyone. If anything he is again the neutral party and demands that the booty be separated out equally or at least based on involvement and risk.
99. Snake hates the snow. It is hard to tell if this is something normal or if this is due to the war which he spent most of his time in Russia in the snow.
100. Snake was always the reluctant hero. He never really wanted to be one but situation demanded it as did his anger and revenge. He never wanted to be a war hero and he never wanted to be the one in the headlines. He always wanted to disappear but couldn’t because he was a man who had to find a way to do the right thing. Honor is a strong force and for Snake it took him down some very dark roads.
Brain melts and slides out into a puddle on the floor. The mun is now brain dead.