Converge @ 'Decibel' party in Philly, January 2013 (more by Shaun Regan)
today in NYC
* Gaucho @ Joe's Pub
* Nervo @ Pacha NYC
* Cumbiagra @ Barbes
* Macy Gray @ City Winery
* Greg Proops @ The Bell House
* Wayne Horvitz: Duets @ The Stone
* The Denzels, Neighbors @ Glasslands
* Kurt Rosenwinkel @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Scott Kettner's Orgy In Rhythm @ Barbes
* Japanese Guy, XA @ Secret Project Robot
* Monocle, Liam Singer, Grg Ptrsn @ Union Hall
* Michael Scott, Ryan Hobler, Ellis @ Cake Shop
* Var, Pharmakon, DJ Antony Naples @ The Rink
* Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers @ Beacon Theater
* Born Loose, Birds of Avalon, Snails @ Union Pool
* Conspiracy of Beards, Tall Tall Trees @ Cloud City
* JD Samson (of Le Tigre), Average Jo (DJ) @ Littlefield
* The Gaslight Anthem, The Hold Steady @ The Stone Pony
* The Austerity Program, Nonagon, Risk/Reward @ Don Pedro
* Scratch Massive, MR NO, M/O/S/E/S, Cezaire (DJ) @ Glasslands
* Benoit and Sergio, Dave Harrington, Justin Strauss @ Cameo Gallery
* Claire's Diary, The Tablets, Tiny Tusks, Bad Behavior @ The Acheron
* Purmamarca, All the Parts of the Buffalo, Wild Leaves @ The Rock Shop
* Banquets, Signals Midwest, Nightmares For A Week, Crimes @ Maxwell's
* Converge, Meek is Murder, Trench Foot, Dead Serious @ Saint Vitus Bar
* denitia and sene, Pegasus Warning, Tamara Davidson @ Cameo Gallery
* Guerilla Toss, Ed Schrader's Music Beat, Skimask, Saralee @ Death By Audio
* Lemuria, Bridge and Tunnel, Jeff Rosenstock, Warm Slow Death @ Shea Stadium
* Celestial Shore, Weed Hounds, Potty Mouth, Slime Boyz, Brown Bread @ Big Snow
* Wayne Horvitz and the Royal Room Collective Music Ensemble, Doug Wieselman @ The Stone
* Honor By August, Stone Cold Fox, These Animals, White Lace, Flashlights @ Mercury Lounge
* The Motor Tom, The Rabbit and The Hare, The Bonesetters, Cheerleader, Kevin McWha Steele @ Pianos
* Amanda Palmer, Mina Caputo, Abel Ferrara, Spanking Charlene, Beautiful Small Machines @ Bowery Ballroom
* Aaron Dilloway, Clang Quartet, Gerritt Wittmer, Pod Blotz, Peter J. Woods, Plague Mother, Maria Chavez, Isa Christ @ Silent Barn
* James Murphy, Shit Robot, The Crystal Ark, Pat Mahoney, Nancy Whang, Tim Sweeney, Yacht, The Rapture (DJ), Prinzhorn Dance School, Planningtorock, Larry Gus, Dan Bodan, Black Dice, Still Going, Marcus Marr @ Grand Prospect Hall
If you're going to tonight's DFA 12th Anniversary Party at Grand Prospect Hall, here's some stuff you might want to know: Doors and music starts promptly at 9 PM; no backpacks and no re-entry; bar works via drink tickets which are purchased cash only; and the event is 21+.
Follow @BrooklynVegan on Twitter.
Follow @bvChicago for just Chicago stuff.
Also follow @bvAustin for just Austin stuff.
Be our friend on Facebook too, and BV Austin's friend on Facebook and BV Chicago's friend on Facebook.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Continue reading "What's going on Saturday?" at brooklynvegan
photos by Tim Griffin
Paul McCartney @ Frank Erwin Center, Austin, 5/23/2013
Paul McCartney's Out There tour just swept through Austin with a two-night stand at the Frank Erwin Center and we've got pictures (and setlists) of the pyrotechnic/av/hit-filled extravaganza over at BV Austin.
The former Beatle plays two nights at Barclays Center in a couple weeks and while the June 8 show appears to be sold out, tickets are still available for June 10.
In other news, McCartney has joined the growing list of musicians supporting the release of incarcerated Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina who is currently on a hunger strike. He wrote a letter to Russian officials, saying:
My personal belief is that further incarceration for Maria will be harmful for her and the situation as a whole, which, of course, is being watched by people all over the world. In the great tradition of fair-mindedness which the Russian people (many of whom are my friends) are famous for, I believe that you granting this request would send a very positive message to all the people who have followed this case.
Meanwhile, the classic 1976 live album, Wings Over America
, is getting the deluxe box set reissue
treatment next week (5/28) with a bonus disc of audio, a DVD featuring a rarely-seen television special, Wings Over the World,
a photo booklet and more. The original release was the first triple album to go to #1 on Billboard's albums chart. You can watch a video "unboxing" the reissue below.
Continue reading "Paul McCartney asks Russian officials to free Pussy Riot, reissuing 'Wings Over America', played two nights in Austin (pics)" at brooklynvegan
On Sunday June 2 from 7:30pm – 10pm, Bunna Cafe and A+S Works are hosting The Farmraiser at Dun-Well Doughnuts in Brooklyn as part of Bushwick Open Studios. Tickets are $20 in advance ($25 at the door) and will get you dinner and live entertainment, as well as access to a supposedly cheap cash bar. All proceeds will benefit A+S Works on the Farm, a weekend dance workshop in rural New York put on by A+S Works, an organization that aims to “creates contemporary dance to investigate the intimacy of the human experience through the ceremony of live performance.”
Dinner will be provided by Bunna, the almost all vegan Ethiopian pop-up cafe in Brooklyn that I have yet to try (I actually tried to go there earlier this week, not realizing it was a pop-up), but have heard wonderful things about. Entertainment will consist of dancing and art, as well as live music. There will also presumably be sweet treats available, as the event is taking place in New York’s only all-vegan doughnut shop. If there are, I recommend a doughnut sundae!
The Decemberists in Austin in 2011 (more by Tim Griffin)
It's been a while since we've heard from The Decemberists, but the band's members are still finding ways to keep busy. Their side project, Black Prairie, whose lineup now includes four of the five Decemberists members (Chris Funk, Nate Query, Jenny Conlee, and John Moen -- aka everyone except Colin Meloy), released a new album this year which is a "soundtrack" for New York Times magazine writer Jon Mooallem's book, Wild Ones. You can stream that album in its entirety below, and read what Jon Mooallem had to say about it at Slate.
Black Prairie are also going on a tour which includes previously discussed stops at Bonnaroo and Newport Folk Festival. The tour hits NYC for a show with Michael Hurley at City Winery on July 29, the day after they play Newport Folk Festival. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Colin Meloy plays Newport Folk Fest too, so if he and his bandmates don't team up for at least one Decemberists song, that's just cruel and unusual. It's one of three solo shows Colin has scheduled (all festivals, none in NYC). All upcoming Black Prairie and Colin Meloy dates are listed below.
Finally, as mentioned, John Moen is releasing a new solo album, Revise Your Maps, on June 25 via Jealous Butcher Records. We already posted the song "Ramble Scramble" from that album, and John just released the album's title track, which you can stream below (via Billboard).
Continue reading "Black Prairie released a book soundtrack, touring; John Moen released a new song; Colin Meloy playing solo shows" at brooklynvegan